The following is the text of a press release issued by the Rt. Hon. David Jones M.P. on 18 November 2015.
CLWYD WEST MP APPOINTED TO OSCE PARLIAMENT
The Prime Minister has appointed Clwyd West MP, David Jones to the United Kingdom Delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE).
The OSCE is the world’s largest regional security organisation, whose 56 participating states span the geographical area from Vancouver to Vladivostok.
The Parliamentary Assembly of the OSCE brings together 320 delegates from 55 states. Its areas of competence are to:
- assess the implementation of OSCE objectives by participating states;
- discuss subjects addressed during meetings of the Ministerial Council and summit meetings of OSCE Heads of State or Government;
- develop and promote mechanisms for the prevention and resolution of conflicts;
- support the strengthening and consolidation of democratic institutions in OSCE participating states; and
- contribute to the development of OSCE institutional structures and of relations and co-operation between existing OSCE institutions.
David Jones said:
“I am very pleased to have the opportunity to serve in the British delegation to the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly.
“At a time of tension throughout the region, with increasing levels of terrorism, the role of the OSCE is more important than ever.
“Dialogue is crucial to maintaining security in Europe and central Asia, and I look forward to making my own contribution in the meetings of the Parliamentary Assembly.”